Born May 25th, 2008
2:59 pm
6 pounds 13 ounces
Length 19 3/4 inches

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

2nd Visit with Dr. S

Today Kinley had her second pediatricians visit since being discharged from Children's Mercy. It went really well. Kevin and I brought our computer to show Dr. S the log on how Kinley is doing with her bottles and NG feeds at night. We made this big spreadsheet that shows what time the feeding was supposed to begin, what the actual time was, how much she took initially before stopping for a burp, what the whole intake was for the feed, if-when-how much vomit there was, did we give any meds and if so when, if there were any wet or dirty diapers and any comments that we wanted to add. Dr. S said that he could tell we were "raised" in the NICU with Kinley. He sure was right. It has been kind of hard for us to adjust to "life on the outside" with Kinley. We were used to monitors telling us how Kinley is breathing, what her blood pressure is, what her heart rate is, etc. We also were used to the nurses measuring the contents in Kinley's stomach prior to feeding (her residuals), taking her temp every 4 hours and knowing exactly how much she was eating down to the ml...heck, they even weighed her diapers to know how much she was peeing! While it is nice not to have to worry about all that now, it is still difficult for us to adjust completely. Dr. S just glanced at our spreadsheet, but wasn't really too interested in the details. He was just concerned that Kinley is gaining weight appropriately, and she is, so he was happy. He said that we could continue the spreadsheet, but not to get too wrapped up in the numbers. He said some days will be better than others, but the main goal is steady weight gain. According to his scale today Kinley was 11 lbs and 9 oz, so it looks like she is continuing to gain weight. YEA!!! So, for now we will continue the bottles during the day without the NG tube in, and then do tube feeds at night replacing what Kinley was not able to eat during the day.

7 comments:

Barb said...

Very impressive spreadsheet! Team Melcher truly earned another Gold Medal! Good luck with your continued parenting success. It is one of the most difficult jobs . . . and there isn't any training . . . each day is a new game and you two are doing GREAT!
Hugs!

Amber said...

Wow sounds like Kinley is on the right track. My son weighed 12lbs at six months! He is a little guy.

I completely understand with trying to adjust to life on the outside of the NICU. When we first brought Owain home I felt stressed all the time. Is he eating enough?Is peeing? I Could just go on and on of all my concerns at the beginning. i promise you it does get easier. Owain is seven months old now we have a good routine down and I still worry but not as much.
Hang in their

Thanks for taking the time on keeping up the blog. I love reading how Kinley is doing. She is such a cutie.

Amber

Aep said...

Hi,
My name is Ana, mommy to Marco 3.2.07 LCDH. I have been following your blog and have to say Kinley is such a cutie.
You guys are doing an awesome job!! We also had a spreadsheet when Marco came home and the doctor had the same reaction as yours. As Owain's mommy said, it does get easier. :)
Wishing you guys lots of luck and nice weight gain!!!
Hugs,
Ana
www.penafamily2008.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Glad Kinley is gaining and doing well. I laughed at the spreadsheet ONLY because I totally made one too. I saved it as "Peetie's Eaties", because her nickname is Peetie (as in Sweetie Peetie). I'm glad I'm not the only spreadsheet making parent out there!

Jen Miller

Fer said...

Hi. I must say when I read this post I felt like my ped was telling me the same thing with my spreadsheet. It took me a whole year to give it up, to stop writing everything Juan Pablo drank, vomited, ate, peed and pooped. It's been 3 weeks for me without the spreadsheet and at the begining I felt tos lost, but now I am getting used to it. let's see how is the next visit with the ped.
Take care and keep up with the amazing job you're doing with Kinley :)
Fer

Cindy said...

I love reading your blog too, and think you are doing an amazing job with Kinley. You are her mommy and know her best and it sounds like you are making all the right decisions regarding her feeding, etc. I never had to deal with a feeding tube and am amazed at how much of a pro you seem to be at using it now.

When Claire was in the hospital the nurses had me write what time she ate and how much on a wipe-off board in the room. The doctors would look at it each morning when they did rounds. Once we got home I kept a board on our fridge for a couple months. Eventually I quit writing it down and worrying about feeding times and we developed our own schedule, which mainly depended on Claire's cues.

Melissa said...

This is totally cracking me up! We had a spreadsheet, too! I guess it truly is NICU thing. We kept ours up for a while, but eventually gave it up as well... :) So funny!! Kinley will be rocking the house soon with her eating, peeing, and pooping, and you won't need your spreadsheet anymore, I'm sure!! :) Love you guys ! Joe and Melissa

P.S. Jack says hello!! (actually, it was more of a garbled..."arrrggghiiieeeeughhh!!") He's tired. :)