Born May 25th, 2008
2:59 pm
6 pounds 13 ounces
Length 19 3/4 inches

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Last Visit With The Perinatologists

Today, yes the blog is finally up to date, we had our last visit with Dr. G. before Kinley is born. We received some pretty good news at this visit, so that was very encouraging. For starters, based on the sonogram from today, Kinley is estimated to weigh 7 pounds and 5 ounces! Plus she still has 3 weeks to grow if all goes as planned and I do not have to deliver early. That is really good news since ECMO has a weight restriction. It looks like Kinley should have no problems just in case she does require ECMO after she is born. Secondly, Dr. G. was able to see and measure Kinley's right lung. There is a measurement of the ratio of a baby's head circumference to her lung mass and the doctors like it to be above 2. Kinley scored a 3-3.5 today, so that was really nice to hear. Finally, just to put our minds at ease a little, we were also informed that Children's Mercy Hospital has the capability of caring for 5 babies at a time on ECMO. Kevin and I were a little worried at first because we thought they could only care for 2 ECMO babies at a time.

As for the not so great news, my amnionic fluid has gone up somewhat in the past couple of weeks. Today they measured 24 cm. (Normal is less than 25.) Dr. G. did not seem too concerned with that value since it is still in the normal range, just on the high end. It is also somewhat expected for CDH babies to have higher amounts of amnionic fluid. Basically, this just means that there is a chance I could go into labor a little early. I am still having weekly visits with Dr. M. to monitor my progress as far as going into labor is concerned. So far it looks like Kinley will not be making her debut anytime soon, which is what is best for her.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Kathy & Kevin,

I'm Sofia's Mom from the tour at Children's Mercy. I'm glad you got to come by and see Sofia. I remember our tour back in December and seeing little Josie who was about to go home and how difficult it was knowing my baby would soon be in that same position. I cried during the whole walk through and didn't have the strength to talk to her mom. I love your blog and will continue to follow your story until you bring Kinley home. Always feel free to email me questions at jtmku@yahoo.com. We've researched CDH every day since October 29th (our ultrasound diagnosis date), so we know more than we ever wanted to about CDH. Breath of Hope is also an amazing group of parents and a great resource. Their link is also on our blog. Best wishes to you all, and as I told Cassi & Brian, another CDH couple coming to CMH soon, you made a good choice with Children's Mercy. I would rate the care here for CDH babies right up there with CHOP, Johns Hopkins, and Dr. Kays at Shands. We'll be keeping you all in our prayers!


Jen Miller
www.babymiller08.blogspot.com