Born May 25th, 2008
2:59 pm
6 pounds 13 ounces
Length 19 3/4 inches

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, June 8, 2009

1 Year Special Care Clinic Visit

We were on the fence about going back to the special care clinic (Kinley hasn't been there since December), but we finally decided to go ahead and schedule a 1 year appointment for June 4th. Kinley was actually supposed to have an OT visit as well, but due to scheduling difficulties between the special care clinic and the OT department, I was never able to get corresponding appointments, so we decided to forgo the OT appointment since Kinley sees an OT every other week at our house anyway. I think what I was hoping to get from this appointment was confirmation that Kinley is doing really well and does not need to be a patient of the special care clinic anymore. Well, lets just say that was not the opinion of the special care clinic.

Every visit to the special care clinic starts out in the weight room where nurses check Kinley's oxygen saturation, blood pressure, weight, length and head circumference. Since Kinley just had her pediatrician visit earlier that week, she pretty much flipped out as soon as one of the nurses touched her. I tried to explain that she didn't have to get any shots at this appointment, but I don't think Kinley was listening to me. She screamed the whole time!

After we were done in the weight room we headed to our exam room where Kinley finally calmed down as she played with Kevin and I and the large mirror in the room. The quiet did not last long though, as soon as the nurse practitioner came into the room the screaming started again.

Now, Kinley's appointment was back on June 4th and I haven't posted until now because, for one I have not had much time, and secondly I thought it was best to wait and calm down a bit before posting on this appointment. I know that Kiney is doing really well, Kevin and I see Kinley's progress on a daily basis. We know what she has had to overcome and as far as we are concerned she is a happy, healthy baby.

So, to make a long story short, instead of leaving the special care clinic on a good note with plans to discharge from their care we left with a screaming baby and recommendations for a hearing test, swallow study, ENT referral, OT visit at Children's Mercy (not just with our home OT) and a follow up visit with the special care clinic in August. Needless to say, this is not what I was hoping for. I do appreciate the fact that the special care clinic is thorough and I do believe they think they have her best interest in mind, but I just wish they could see her as a more "normal" child. Yes, she did have a VERY rough start, but for the most part she has overcome her initial problems and is doing almost all the things a normal 1 year old would be doing at this point. For instance, she is eating well and maintaining her growth curve, so her pediatrician said we could try her on regular whole milk and just do a weight check in a month to make sure all is well. The special care clinic would not even consider letting her do a trial on regular milk. They recommended that we give her Pediasure or whole milk with Carnation Instant Breakfast twice a day. I just think sometimes the opinions of the special care clinic are a little overkill. I do have to admit that I am on board with the hearing test and swallow study though.

Since special care clinic appointments take up a whole afternoon, we just let Kinley play and relax at home the rest of the day. She slept really well that night after all her fussing and screaming. Poor Kinley.

3 comments:

a said...

I've never posted a comment here, but I follow along regularly. Our daughter Addie was in the NICU at the same time...she was 14 weeks early.

I have a lot of the same opinions about the Special Care Clinic...how their "thoroughness" tends to make me feel like I'm not taking good enough care of Addie. It's kind of reassuring to hear that it's the "culture" of the clinic to overreact.

So glad that Kinley is doing well!

Jen said...

I so feel your pain about that place (and I'm very impressed with your judicious use of words to describe it ;-) ) I think Kinley is doing AMAZING and you guys are awesome parents. Keep up the good work!!

Melissa said...

I agree with the other girls....!! I think Kinley is doing awesome.