Born May 25th, 2008
2:59 pm
6 pounds 13 ounces
Length 19 3/4 inches

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Have You Donated Lately?

We have. Kevin's work had a blood drive yesterday, so Kevin, Kinley and I thought it was important to give back. Obviously Kinely was not able to donate, but I gave her my sticker because I knew she would have donated if she could have. Neither Kevin nor I had donated blood before, but after Kinley's stay at Children's Mercy we know how important it is now. If you remember, the reason Kinley came off of ECMO was because she was bleeding too much after her repair surgery. I can't remember exactly how many transfusions Kinley had the day she came off of ECMO, and frankly I don't want to, but it was that blood, among other things that saved her life. It wasn't just that one day either, Kinley needed blood on several other occasions while at Children's Mercy.

Everyone at the blood drive was really nice and helpful. They all said how cute Kinley was and when they heard her story and why we were donating blood they asked if they could take our picture. There is a chance Kinley might end up in a calendar promoting blood donation.

Here are a couple of pics that I took once we got home. If you look closely you can see the sticker I gave Kinley saying "First Time Donor".


5 comments:

Teda858 said...

soooo cute! Way to give back that's awesome!

Unknown said...

What DARLING pictures! Kinley is so adorable! Merry Christmas!

Love,
Scott & Susan

Jody said...

She looks great in that hat! Kudo's to the person who bought her that! So cute!

Jen said...

What a great smile - and I love her stocking cap! Way to donate blood. It is so very important. Kenny has donated a few times and his Dad has donated over 5 gallons of blood! I have yet to be able to donate, but since I'm no longer pumping, I hope to do it very soon. Thanks for giving back for babies like Kinley and Sofie!

Jen

Melissa said...

She is adorable! Thanks for the good reminder to donate...I haven't done it in a while and thinking back about Jack receiving blood on ECMO puts it all in perspective again for me. Thanks. :) Merry Christmas, guys!!